Monday, December 5, 2011

Give us this day our daily bread

There are several realizations I've had since becoming a wife and homemaker. First: I'm not really very creative when it comes to decorating. It's true. I've always prided myself on my creativity with doing hair, makeup, nails, etc. But apparently this creativity does not flow over to interior decorating.

Second: contrary to my disdain of working in the yard while in my youth, gardening is actually a good thing. I'm pretty much still an amateur at gardening and I'm afraid that I don't have much of a green thumb. But gardening allows you get to reap the rewards throughout the winter of a few months of laboriously digging in the dirt in the spring/summer. Brent and I have enjoyed the copious amounts of beans, peas, potatoes, carrots, onions, tomatoes, and corn we have in our food storage that came from our garden (thanks Adrian and Ember for getting us started). It's been so nice being able to just pull it out of the freezer anytime and not have to put those sort of items on our weekly shopping list.

Third: homemade bread is AMAZING!!! I grew up with store bought bread basically my whole life.  My mom rarely made homemade bread...not from the lack of being able to because her bread and rolls are and were scrumptious, just like the rest of the food she makes. But whenever we had homemade bread or we had a loaf given to us, myself being accustomed to store bought bread, I really didn't appreciate how awesome it was. However, my parents gave Brent and I a bread maker that wasn't being used and we decided to put it to work. It's totally great because by putting some water, milk, oil, flour, salt, sugar, a little gluten and yeast into the pan, and then pushing a few buttons, you can have warm, fresh, aromatic bread just a few short hours later. I love walking into my house and having it smell like a bakery. I've heard people say that bread machines are like "cheating" in the bread making world. You know what I have to say to that? Who cares! There's nothing like throwing a bunch of ingredients into a pan, walking away from it, and 3 hours later being in carb-heaven!

So I may not be a great decorator, and I'm still learning how to be a master gardener, but thank heaven for bread makers so that I don't have a total complex about my homemaking skills. At least I can make bread (lol).

1 comment:

  1. You're so dang cute! Good for you. We don't have to do it all you know? One little loaf of bread at a time. :)

    ReplyDelete