At first glance I was stoked! We could always use extra chairs for when we have company. Plus, I had always liked these chairs of my grandparents growing up. Just looking at them made me think of them. However, they did look like the 1970's came and threw up all over them. When I said I wanted them, Brent was a little hesitant...and I understand why. It would be one more thing to clutter the house or storage room that we didn't really need...and they were not very attractive to the eye. Plus the upholstery was worn, faded and ripped in areas. I saw a project though, so I stuck them in the storage room and forgot about them until we had company over for a family reunion and started pulling chairs out.
After things settled down from the reunion, there was a day that I was literally bored out of my mind. When this happens it's time to work on a project. So C-man and I went down to JoAnn's and picked out some fabric. I came home and started taking the chairs apart so I could recover the seats and backrest. It turned out to be a bit more difficult than I had hoped, and I am sure my poor Grandpa is on the other side just shaking his head at the job I did. He was really good at recovering furniture and I'm just mediocre. But, I got them finished and I love them. The design of the fabric is still a little vintage, but less 1970's. It makes me happy to have something of my Grandparents in my home. I'll always look at these chairs and think of the times I spent around their dining room table for breakfast, eating shredded wheat (not frosted) from a melmac cereal bowl with my grandpa's whole milk. These are sweet memories for me.
No comments:
Post a Comment