Wednesday, October 23, 2013

California 2013 - Fourth Day: Sunday Best

On Sunday we went to the Chula Vista 1st Ward for church. We really enjoyed attending this ward. The people were very friendly and inviting. I always love attending wards outside of Utah because it reminds me how friendly and outgoing I should be on Sunday with people I'm not familiar with. For all people knew, B and I could have been investigating the church. And if we had been, we would have felt welcome and cared for. People went out of their way to introduce themselves and try to learn some things about B and I. It was a great experience for us both.

After we went to Old Town San Diego and visited the Mormon Battalion Visitor Center. It was especially neat for me because I worked as a hair/makeup artist on the video that they show in the visitor center. However, I never got to see it because the church didn't do a preview of the film for the staff due to a time conflict of getting the film edited and ready for the re-dedication of the visitor center. So it was fun to see actors and actresses that I had worked on.

Both B and I learned a lot about the history of the Mormon Battalion that neither one of us ever knew. There were several people on our tour who were not members of the LDS Church and I hope that they felt what I had felt. It's amazing how the spirit can be felt throughout so many different facets of the gospel. Even learning about something historical, the sister missionary guiding the tour was able to pull in doctrine and ultimately share her testimony of the gospel and it's truth.

We didn't have a chance to attend the San Diego Temple and do any temple work. However, we still wanted to actually see the temple in person. Luckily the grounds there were open on Sunday, so we took a drive to the temple and walked around the grounds. It was a magnificent looking temple and reminded me so much of a beautiful castle. I love that it is right next to the freeway. I can only imagine people driving by, seeing the temple and wondering what it is. I think that just by having the temple by the freeway might create missionary opportunites of people wanting to learn more about what kind of building it is, who it belongs to, and why it's significant. 

Sunday was a good day, because after 3 fully packed days of activities, it truly was a day of rest. We were spiritually fed, we rested and enjoyed the Sabbath Day in a way we hadn't before. 

No comments:

Post a Comment