Tuesday, October 15, 2013

"Thank you for all our resources"

When B and I were married, we made it a habit early on to make sure we said family prayer together every night, even before we had a family of more than just us two. It is a habit I am very grateful for because I feel like it brings our family closer together when we are united in prayer. Something that impressed me early on in our prayers, was B would thank our Heavenly Father for all of our resources. To me, it seemed more than just saying, "Thanks for all that we have." It was really saying, "Thank you for providing us with everything that we have to help us live a comfortable, joyous, full life."

We are so blessed! Did you know the average yearly income for the entire world's population is $7,000 USD? And that's the average! Only about 19% of countries around the world have incomes per capita this high. If you look at the median which is a better representation of peoples situations, it is roughly $1,700 USD per year. That number is astounding and really puts into perspective how truly blessed we are.

Some of you may know that I have a brother serving an LDS mission in the Philippians (eldercousin.blogspot.com). He recently received a new companion fresh out of the MTC. My brother's brief explanation of this new Elder's past situation was very humbling to me.

Excerpt from Elder Cousin's letter:

Hello!

Another week has flown by. So we went to transfers on Wednesday. I think I was like the second to last person to get a companion so the wait was agonizing. When it finally came I heard, "Elder Cousin's new companion, fresh from MTC is Elder Franzuela." So I'm training again. He is from Samar. This elder is from a part of the country where the modern world doesn't exist. Tagalog is his second language so its alright but still kind of mixed. In the past week I have grown to love this Elder. He is simple and humble and willing to follow without question. The simplest things I took for granted before, I have now learned to appreciate. I I taught him how to use the gas stove last night. The first lesson he said he just wanted to share his testimony and have me teach but I have learned that he is good at teaching.


This Elder is from an area where the use of a gas stove didn't even exist. If he has never used a stove before, I can't even imagine what other modern conveniences are blowing his mind right now.  But, he is teaching my brother how to not take anything for granted and to appreciate EVERYTHING that we have been blessed with. Every single resource!

I'm not a millionaire and I don't live a life of extravagance. But I am so blessed to have so many resources at my disposal. I am blessed to live in a country where there are so many resources available to make life comfortable and full of joy. I am grateful that my husband has work right now, when so many are out of work. I am grateful that he works so hard for our family to provide us with so many nice things.

Thanksgiving is just around the corner. This year, instead of just being grateful for the big things in our lives, lets be grateful for the tiny, seemingly insignificant resources in our lives. Because I can guarantee that somewhere, halfway across the world even, there is someone whose life that tiny resource would change forever. So make a list and post is somewhere for you to see often.

Some of my list...
* Payless shoes - because I can find size 12 women shoes there.
* Paper towels - because sometimes the mess is just too big for a washcloth.
* Febreeze - because sometimes there is a smell that just won't go away.
* LDS Scripture App - because sometimes I like to read my scriptures while waiting in public.
* Music - because sometimes, it's the only therapy that will sooth my soul.
* Eyebrows - because even though mine are basically non-existent, I would look weird without them.
* U.S. Gasoline - because even though we pay close to $4/gal, there are still places that pay $10/gal.
* Winter - because even though I dislike the cold and snow, I dislike working in my yard more.
* Brooms - because can you image how hard cleaning a floor would be without them?
* Toilet cleaning brushes - because...well, need I say more?
* Cell phones - because I have no idea how my parents got away without having them.
* Chairs - because siting on the floor all the time would really get old.
* Forks - because have you ever tried eating spaghetti with a spoon?
* Baby car seats - because my son is my most valued possession and I know it protects him.
* St. George Temple - because even if it's an hour away, there are some whose temples are days away.
* Crock Pots - because sometimes I want the lazy way out.
* Windshield wipers - because if yours have ever been broken during a rain storm, you'll understand.
* Sleep - because every challenge looks better after a good night sleep.



No comments:

Post a Comment